The first camp meeting was held in August 1886, on the grounds, and was originally known as the Green Mountain Christian Union. The meetings have continued each summer since then. The group changed its name to the Advent Christian Holiness Association in 1906 and later to its present title, Green Mountain Bible Camp. One of our oldest members, Persis Rowe recalled, "It was started by a small group under a big tree and then it grew." Originally the site was a maple grove. Some of the picturesque unpainted cottages that encircle the clearing are over a century old.
"People first came here by horse and buggy and on the railroad. We got electricity installed in 1951, but before that, we had gaslights. I remember walking down the hillside to get milk in a can from the Morse farm over there. This area was all a cow pasture and we walked on the cow paths. The trees weren't all grown up like they are now and there was quite a nice view from here." The focal point of the campground is the large tabernacle, which seats 200 people. "It was built in 1917, and it has no supporting posts". Phyllis Templeton Stinson wrote a history of the campground in 2002. She notes that her grandfather, Frank, designed and did a major part of the building of the tabernacle. "The odd-shaped windows had frames covered with cheesecloth to keep out the mosquitoes and wooden shutters if the weather was bad. The floor was covered with fresh smelling straw and there was always a large pile of straw in the front left-hand corner to recover any spots that might become bare." The tabernacle got a cement floor in 1982. Rows of old church pews provide seating.
The 19 buildings on the grounds include a dining hall, bathrooms with showers, boys' and girls' dorms, guest and private cottages, sites for campers or tents with electrical hookups, a recreational field, affectionately called Rowe field, after Persis & her husband Gerald, who played in the annual softball game into his 90s and was a catcher who liked to heckle the batter. All in good fun, of course. The association, which is run by a board of trustees, leased the land for over a century, but purchased the land from James Abbott in 2009. Camp meetings are just one week each year, usually held the week of the 4th of July.
At our 100th year celebration we created a time capsule and plan to retrieve it at our 150th celebration.